[ale] Ignorant Newbie

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Mon Aug 5 20:53:55 EDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Dennis Herrick wrote:

> > You'll do much better just getting a book or two and sending
> > questions out to lists like this.
>
> On the other hand, times when I've sent a question to the list, it
> immediately gets off topic and there's not much help. I ask a question,
> download messages the next day, and find six to ten and I'm thinking how
> there'll be some suggestions I can try. But almost NONE of them relate
> to my question.(see recent thread on LCD monitor).

I had a look at the thread. Looks to me like you got as much help as one
could expect when they ask a vague question and provide few
details...going so far as to mention that you didn't write down the error
message.

> I use Mandrake and have gotten better results on the Mandrake user
> list....

Good for you. For every one like you, I bet I can find two that say the
Mandrake list sucks.

> (give me 5 min to put my flame protector suit on...)

Relax, you will not be needing it.

> I'm not saying there's NO help here, because some have been very
> helpful. I just get frustrated when there's so much I can't do and my
> simple question gets 10 off topic responses for every one that deals
> with the question.

Actually, you got 5 responses. Two offered suggestions. One was a friendly
ribbing. One was someone who took the ribbing seriously and jumped to your
defense, and the last was Charles explaining that he was kidding. So, if
we exclude the two postings that were a result of the first off-topic
post, you're looking at 2 out of 3 and that ain't bad.

> Back to being a lurker...

No need to sull up and sit in a corner. You just need to realize that this
is a community, not a helpdesk. Folks aren't "strictly business" 100% of
the time. You don't "own" every thread you start. It's really not that big
of a deal, and frankly I'm surprised at the amount of griping that has
gone on about such things lately. Relax, join the community and make
friends.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security