[ale] Ignorant Newbie

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sat Aug 3 22:39:07 EDT 2002

Julia -

Every last one of us, at one time or another, knew nothing of Linux and
a good many of us got our first instance running only through much loss
of blood. :-)

Linux sort of defies easy classroom learning.  There is SO MUCH there -
and it's all interlocking and things change over time and from distro to
distro - that to just have it all thrown at you over the course of a day
or a week or a few weeks would just blow your mind.

Hanging around people who do Linux as a matter of routine all the time
coupled with you attempting to accomplish various things with the OS is
probably the best bet but I acknowledge that not everyone has "Linux
people" at arm's reach; at my last three employers, I've been the only
person to actually be able to do anything with Linux systems.

That you have installed it on a computer already and have subscribed to
the best darned Linux list in the world and posted to it shows quite
clearly that you're mentally prepared to get into all this and do it the
way "Linux people" do it.

Your statement "I feel like if I understood just a little more I might
be able to move along faster" strikes me as funny since I did my first
install in 1995 and worked with it continuously since 1998 and I STILL
feel that way.

I hope you read as much of the Linux magazines as you can as well as
Usenet lists related to Linux.  They're especially good for fixing in
your mind what people are accomplishing with Linux and gets you a sense
of the playing field.

- Jeff