[ale] Mandrake 8.0 on Compaq

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sat Sep 8 02:31:37 EDT 2001

Ghhgh (self inflicted LART)... I saw the "Compaq" part and not the "DeskPro
" part... I have a DeskPro 5100 here that I have put Mandrake 7.2 on, but I
used the install-by-floppy method and it was ok, though it loaded really
slow (I think it has only 16 megs of RAM and an ancient CD-ROM).  I also
have a DeskPro xl5100 and a prolinea 4/66 - both as yet unused that I dug
out of a dumpster. However I plan to run either Smoothwall (a firewall and
nothin' but) or OpenBSD on them.. hopefully to do it this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff.  I will look out for that this weekend.

As for the original post... I am sure that you can install Linux on it, but
you might have to finagle it...especially if you have a really small hard
drive.  That is one of the reasons I love Linux and the BSD's - they don't
try to fix things by throwing more hardware at it.  Also, (it was a loooong
time ago and my memory is weak) another problem is that I think that
Compaq's (???) or maybe it is hp's (???) have a special bootable (?)
partition that is used to "fix" the winbloze system the OEM installed.  This
is so, I am thinking,  that after a user fries their system all you have to
do is insert a CD and it will automagically fix the OEM install.  I had
problems with it when I tried to find "missing" disk space one time.  I had
to use a floppy and fdisk the disk and the mbr.

But I would definitely try..... if it fails you can try an another
distro...or an older one .....or bring what the problem is exactly to this
group.