[ale] Mandrake 8.0 on Compaq

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Sep 8 08:57:43 EDT 2001

Since this thread has expanded to various Compaq systems, I'll say this.
I've got Linux running on three different Compaq systems here.

One is a Deskpro 575, P133 with 32 Meg of memory.  Originally installed
Mandrake 8.0 flawlessly.  Lost the hard drive, stuck a spare 10 gig
drive in it, reinstalled Mandrake 8.0 and refreshed from backup.  The
only problem with it now is that it will only boot from floppy, I
suspect it has something to do with the large disk and old bios, but
I've not pursued this as floppy boot is fine.

Second box is a prolinea 486/25 with 16 meg of memory.  Red Hat 5.2,
again, flawless install, although it's not currently in service.  No
problems their either.

The final is a LTE Lite 4/25C laptop which was quite a bear to install,
apparently because of it's 8 meg memory.  I posted a lot about this one
on the list, but was able to get Debian potato installed their with very
little gnashing of teeth, thanks to the assistance of this list.

The only funky thing I find about the Compaq boxes I have here is that
they require a special floppy to access the bios.  I've downloaded an
image from Compaq a while back and use the same floppy for all these
boxes.

My suggestion would be to try either the lowres or text install options
for Mandrake.  If that doesn't work, try another dist, Red Hat if you
want a similar install to Mandrake. My experiences with SuSE were very
good from an installation perspective.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"I don't want a Microsoft Passport, and Microsoft can't have my wallet."