[ale] Mailbox format hell

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Mon Nov 26 14:22:07 EST 2001

>From Stephen
Pellicer:
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>    The sporadic problems I'm
having seem to be related to locking on the mbox files and such. Some programs
like Microsoft
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>    Outlook (<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001> yeah, yeah) can't even get the inbox open.
KMail, Outlook Express and the like open it just fine but there

<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>    are noticeable delays
and performance is pretty sucky.
 <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=2>
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>Stephen:
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
I know
you want to stick to straight Mandrake packages....
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
I had
problems with other applications timing out with the UW, though I never
determined the <SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>root cause of <FONT color=#0000ff
face=Arial size=2>this because my Courier tests
solved the problem.
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>Courier is downright snappy with KMail and
Squirrelmail <SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>on mailboxes with up to 800
messages. I suspect Mandrake doesn't
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>provide <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=2>Courier on the CDs because of license
concerns or because UW is considered "good enough."
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>

If you
want to try the Exim / Courier Maildirs I've got them built on a Mandrake 8.1
box and would be happy to share them.
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
Exim
is trivial to build and Courier just requires gentle headscratching and
installing the right Mandrake supplied db development
libraries.
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
Good
luck!  -jdb
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>
<SPAN
class=754100219-26112001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Stephen Pellicer
  [mailto:spellicer at itillious.com]Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001
  12:45 PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] Mailbox format
  hell
  Ok, so I finally got my home server upgraded. I
  really like how the Mandrake distribution is laid out. Since I'm mucking about
  with this box, I decided to try and fix something that's been sketchy for a
  while at my home setup: mail. I got fetchmail pulling in mail from a couple
  mail sources and delivering them to the local postfix (I'm trying to get used
  to this as I used to use sendmail). This gets sorted out with procmail. I then
  access this from various sources via UW imap.
  Here's the problem: I get sporadic performance
  via imap that I think is due to the fact that I have my mail in mbox format.
  Everything I read in the UW imap docs and things hates this. Most people I
  talk to hates this format. blah, blah, blah. I could care less what format my
  mail is in. UW imap seems to prefer .mbx which is something pretty unique to
  them. I wouldn't mind using .mbx but I'd then lose all of my procmail
  functionality. I could easily solve all of this by downloading packages with
  patches, etc. and build up a system that all works together. I want to stick
  to stock Mandrake packages though. I figure this has gotta be pretty covered
  territory so I'm probably just missing something.

  Any tips appreciated,
  Stephen