[ale] Mailbox format hell

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Mon Nov 26 12:59:58 EST 2001

You
may want to switch to another IMAP server to see if it
helps.
<SPAN
class=999035817-26112001>
I have
used Courier's IMAP with mbox (sendmail) and Maildir (qmail)
with
no problem.
<SPAN
class=999035817-26112001>
<SPAN
class=999035817-26112001>Bao

<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Stephen Pellicer
  [mailto:spellicer at itillious.com]Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001
  9:45 AMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] Mailbox format
  hell
  Ok, so I finally got my home server upgraded. I
  really like how the Mandrake distribution is laid out. Since I'm mucking about
  with this box, I decided to try and fix something that's been sketchy for a
  while at my home setup: mail. I got fetchmail pulling in mail from a couple
  mail sources and delivering them to the local postfix (I'm trying to get used
  to this as I used to use sendmail). This gets sorted out with procmail. I then
  access this from various sources via UW imap.
  Here's the problem: I get sporadic performance
  via imap that I think is due to the fact that I have my mail in mbox format.
  Everything I read in the UW imap docs and things hates this. Most people I
  talk to hates this format. blah, blah, blah. I could care less what format my
  mail is in. UW imap seems to prefer .mbx which is something pretty unique to
  them. I wouldn't mind using .mbx but I'd then lose all of my procmail
  functionality. I could easily solve all of this by downloading packages with
  patches, etc. and build up a system that all works together. I want to stick
  to stock Mandrake packages though. I figure this has gotta be pretty covered
  territory so I'm probably just missing something.
  The sporadic problems I'm having seem to be
  related to locking on the mbox files and such. Some programs like Microsoft
  Outlook (yeah, yeah) can't even get the inbox open. KMail, Outlook Express and
  the like open it just fine but there are noticeable delays and performance is
  pretty sucky.

  Any tips appreciated,
  Stephen