[ale] Synchronize windows machine name? (using linux)

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Tue Nov 20 19:58:30 EST 2001

Is there a way to make win95/98 clients synchronize the name of the machine
with DNS?  I'm running a [linux]DNS server and have all the dhcp clients
defined in it.  And I'm running a samba server as well.

ie: 192.168.1.116 = user116.domain.com

I ultimately want my network to be an "internet" network and not a "windows"
network.

What i'm wondering is which name will windows (samba) networking use?  I
have to give the machine a name (ie: WIN_SUX_116) but when the dhcp gives it
a new ip address (ie 192.168.1.117) it would resolve to user117.domain.com.
Does anyone know how I sync this?  I'm using samba but I'm just really
unclear on the whole WINS thing.

-Does WINS override the machinename? I just want to use DNS and have a nice
streamlined, syncronized network.
-Does Network Neighborhood use the name of the machine, the WINS, or the
DNS?  or all three?
-Do all the names-mixed-up cause network problems (ie resolution timeouts,
etc?)

I think it's the swiss cheese theory:  I'm extremely bright at most things,
but there are some things I just don't understand no matter how much I read.
Maybe I think too much and confuse myself.

Anyway, any light shed on this would cast me in a happy light...

:)

TIA,
CB