[ale] vgetty

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Nov 7 11:00:04 EST 2001

"James P. Kinney III" wrote:

> There was a pst a while back on this list about someone who had a
> working Caller ID setup on *getty. I think they were using it for voice
> data which would mean vgetty. vgetty and mgetty+sendfax are all part of
> the same package (sort of...).  If you go to the home pages of mgetty
> and vgetty, there are a few links (from vgetty) to some shell-script
> apps that utilize caller ID.
>
> Personally, I want to use caller ID to piss of the scum bags that are
> sending the spam faxes. "I'm sorry, your phone number is not recognized.
> If you would like to speak to someone in person please enter
> 182283774495900019928847562435535261883495~ from a touch tone phone
> after the beep." scum bag spammers.

I'm doing something like this now, although it's not complete.  Using
mgetty-sendfax, I check out the caller id #, if it's unknown, it's never
answered.  I've considered the voice approach, but not looked into it as
of yet.

mgetty-sendfax is pretty neat, you can get the caller id values passed
to a script and then do whatever you like with them.  I currently
restrict incoming calls on my fax line to a very small subset of area
codes/numbers.

I'd like to get the voice thing working so I could quit paying Bellsouth
for Privacy Director and handle the calls more accurately.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport