[ale] Printing Situation

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Jun 27 10:50:44 EDT 2001

Mandrake 7.2 (CUPS) on the desktop, RH 6.2 on the server (lpr).  I have set
up a networked HP LaserJet 4050 such that the server can print to it and
test pages initiated from the server work; the name that appears in the
server's printtool is "lp".  So, I go to the desktop and try to set up a
printer in CUPS, selecting the LJ 4050 filter and aiming at the queue "lp"
on the server.   Nothing comes out.  On the desktop, /var/log/cups/error_log
ends with the ever-so-helpful "Remote host did not accept control file".  I
can't find a log on the server side that might indicate what is wrong.

First, are these print systems even compatible?
Second, if theoretically so, is there a "trick" to getting CUPS to print to
a remote lpd queue?
Third, any recommendations on one system versus the other?  I'm expecting to
put current versions of distros on these machines soon and this might affect
my choices.

- Jeff

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT. When addressed to NIIT
clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions in the governing client contract.