[ale] DSL

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Jun 26 14:39:40 EDT 2001

Previously, moisey.g.oysgelt at mail.sprint.com typed into the ether:

> Hi
> I've recently  got  ISDL line from EarthLink .
> This connection Uses winnows application  WinPoet
>
> Does anyone know what type of software  for Red Hat 7.0 I need to set
> for using this connection, and where I can download It.
>
>       Moisey Oysgelt

ISDL I am unfamiliar with.

If you meant ISDN, I haven't dealt with that.

If you meant ADSL, then you will be wanting to use the PPPoE interface.

A Roaring Penguin release of pppoe is included in the RH 7.0 & 7.1
distros and is probably already installed on your system.
 "man pppoe" for details
  Config is in "/etc/ppp/"
 various config/start/stop scripts are kept as "/usr/sbin/adsl-*"

I found setting up pppoe for my Earthlink/Mindspring ADSL was really
quite easy using the supplied scripts.

There may be some updates at Roaring Penguin and its worth checking
the site as suggested by another on the thread.

 http://www.roaringpenguin.com

There are also a couple of HOWTO docs for DSL/ADSL installation
if you have difficulties.

And then there's also Scott Holben's web site with info on Secure ADSL
topics from the last ALE meeting :

http://www.skaht.com/linux/adsl/

  June 10  7:30PM

     A discussion about how to add an extra Ethernet board to a
     Redhat 6.0 Linux box, getting the Roaring Penguin ADSL client
     to work with Mindspring/Earthlink, using IPchains with a deny
     everything policy while using VMWare and IP Masquerading,
     and maybe how to tweak IPchains and the RP ADSL client for
     IPSec clients.

peace
(after justice)
aaron