[ale] Recommend a PCMCIA lan card?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon Jul 30 12:20:11 EDT 2001

[...]

    Joseph> Are there any "good+cheap" 802.11b cards in the world?
    Joseph> That work with Linux?

        Depends on what you consider `cheap'.  I've used two different
Lucent chipset cards (a real Orinoco and an Enterasys card) and a
Cisco Aironet card with both Linux and OpenBSD.  The Orinoco cards run
about $140 a piece for the 128bit encryption, and $120-ish for the
40bit versions.  I have no idea if any of the cheaper cards work with
Linux (D-Link or the like), but I'm sure google would.

        But it's nice to be able to wander anywhere in the house or in
the back yard with the laptop and still IRC or check mail or get some
work done.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=