[ale] SSL problems

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Sat Jul 28 13:07:47 EDT 2001

Hi there,

Ok, here is the lowdown. A friend of mine in the land of Cleve's (Yes, I am
from Cleveland...) has speakeasy DLS. They moved the pop from AT to NY and
in the process hosed his subnet. Once they fixed that and DNS updated things
got better of course. We had to change the all of his DNS records of course
however most everything was fine cept' apache ssl on on of his servers.
This is the deal for all the domains there is an entry list this

<VirualtHost niceangle.com>

So all we had to do was go in and change the IP address for the
NameVirtualHost directive. But!!! For the webmail that uses an SSL
connection if the user wishes I had two virtual host entrys set up.

<VirtualHost webmail.pcintelligent.com:443>
 and
<VirtualHost webmail.pcintelligent.com:80>

Of course all the virt host info was in between there :)

What I had to do was go in. replace webmail.pcintelligent.com:80 with
216.254.105.111:80 which is the IP address of course. This worked. I do not
know why because of his other server that he host for some company we just
changeed the NameVirtualHost information and bammo! It was fine ssl and
everything...

The only difference is that the webmail server has mod_ssl built into apache
and the other is loaded as a module!

I hope all this makes sense. I am not sure why I had to do what I had to do.
I don't know why that worked either! I hope someone has some insight. I
would like to know... :)

Thanks
Ken
But I don't want to go among mad people,
 Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that,
 said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad?
 said Alice.
You must be,
 said the Cat,