[ale] Shelves in Atlanta?

John Mills john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:45:18 EDT 2001

Jenn -

These are standard, but not at Home Depot #;^). If you want to come to ATL with all your supplies you can [almost] surely find some in Savannah or Charleston.
Check with an industrial electronic or electrical parts distributor, or ask a commercial telephone-installation contractor where to find them.

If it comes to DIY, get the "depth" dimension between screw holes on the back and front of the rack (21-7/8" center-center holes for the one I just measured - panel mounting-hole distance was 18-1/4", c-c) and cut some standard drilled steel angle stock to bolt in. (Grainger[sp?] might have this, else an industrial shelving supplier, or maybe even Home Depot ...) Cut plywood shelves to bolt onto your angle rails. Shelves up to 17-3/4" wide would fit in my sample and clear the uprights. The place where you buy the rails can probably cut them to length - long enough to give you mounting holes 21-7/8" apart. (You want them strong, which means #$%@!! to cut with your average household tools.) I wouldn't be suprised to find standard rails where shelves are sold.

Happy hacking!

On Fri, 27 July 2001, djinn at djinnspace.com wrote:

> We're about to put a bunch of equipment in a cabinet at IBM's co-lo in
> Atlanta.  I've never stored stuff in a cabinet before and all I really
> know about this one is it will hold "standard 19" equipment"...which I
> think means 17 3/8" between rails and about 28" deep.
>
> So we need some shelves for this beast, that can hold at least 60 lbs,
> pref. more.  We're getting a little too close to move time to be able to
> order them off the web, so does anyone know of any place in Atl where I
> can walk in and buy cabinet shelves??  (see, wierd question...and don't
> tell me Home Depot because believe me, if it comes to it, IBM will see a
> bumpkin from Savannah doing some serious DIY)

Regards,
 John Mills