[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jul 26 06:50:27 EDT 2001

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:

> > Understood, but I would be surprised if the isps are providing fixed
> > ips, as (at least BellSouth) claims that this is part of a security
> > issue.  If your ip is not static, then it's harder for a hacker to find
> > you multiple times.
>
> Yeah...that makes it real secure :)  Chances are they found you by
> portscans anyway :)

Yeah, well, the BellSouth folks I talked to, either were just stupid, or
they thought I was.  First they told me they didn't have enough IPs.
Then I was told it was a quote 'security' solution.  I had one guy over
there tell me that you can't give a static IP.  I didn't even argue with
him.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein