[ale] Thanks on info from Language Jihad

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 26 00:00:11 EDT 2001

Dow Hurst wrote:

> I just wanted to say thanks for all the info and discussion on the
> Language Jihad thread.  Everyone who contributed to the discussion has
> given me insight that has helped to define the direction I would like to
> go.  It always amazes me how powerful the ALE group is when taken as an
> aggregate.  There is literally hundreds of man years of experience and
> insight in practically every area of computer related expertise
> represented here.  Remember the "old guys" thread? :-) And how about the
> LDAP threads?  Just examples of how punchcard info and the latest
> authentication software can be addressed with ease by this group.
>
> So to get started on my project:
>
> I am getting a book on learning how to layout a program in UML.
> Concurrently, I've got some good books on Python, Perl, C, C++ (C++
> Primer Plus from the Waite Group), Tcl, Expect, Shell programming, Ruby,
> Java (a "learn in 24hr book), and plan to acquire a Fortran book
> eventually.  The OOAD book suggestions are on the list of books to check
> out at the library and/or acquire.  I plan to take Fletch's advice and
> see which language floats my coding the best.  I want to achieve
> readable, well-organized code so I plan to concentrate on the skills of
> laying out the program before I dive too far into just coding.  Thanks
> again,
> Dow

Very interesting... I don't think I've ever encountered someone
before who actually tried to learn design before doing any
coding. I'm not sure it can even work, especially with UML -
you'll go blind and fry all your neurons trying to absorb the
design methodology, and you'll miss out on the sheer joy of
writing code and seeing lights blink and little shapes move
around on the screen - which is what all real programmers
are really in the game for :-)

Give Extreme Programming or one of the other "lightweight"
methods a look first.

MHO, of course.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S