[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Jay Finch retief at larp.com
Mon Jul 23 16:40:17 EDT 2001

Hey everyone,

I know this question has been asked a million and one times, but being that
the technology has changed so much in the past few months and I'm only now
becoming concerned with it, I wanted some opinions.

I've been a Charter Comm. Cable Modem subscriber for about 3 years now, and
have had pretty good service.  It's been fairly peppy, but I hate how it
goes down when it rains (without fail) and other weird routing and downtime
issues.  I just got a notice from BellSouth that I'm (finally!) eligible
for DSL service.

What I want to know is this: How reliable is DSL vs. Cable?  What about the
speeds?  (I generally get 1.5MB download and 128k upload on Cable fairly
consistently, depending on I-net traffic.)

Additionally, I'm using a Linux box as my firewall/gateway, and I have a
Static IP with Charter right now.  I know that Mindspring & Bellsouth both
use PPPoE with DHCP as a standard, but Mindspring offers a Static IP for
$15 extra a month.

I want a static IP.  From y'alls experience: Do Mindspring and Bellsouth
refresh their IPs often enough to warrant asking for a static one?  (I have
several DNS mappings to my home machine right now.)

And finally, I know that neither "support" Linux -- I know my stuff fairly
well in getting a box configured, but how much of a bear is it to configure
for DSL vs. Cable?  (And is there a "better" DSL ISP for Linux? I'm trying
to keep my costs around $50-$60/month, which is what I'm paying for my
Cable Modem right now.)

Thanks in advance for y'alls help.  :~)

Cheers!
Jay