[ale] Re: 1/3 full disk, but it is full?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 14:59:15 EDT 2001

hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:

> Thanks for everyones suggestions on this problem.  Unfortunately, or
> maybe fortunately, I went on vacation the day after the problem
> arose.  In my absence we've found out:
>
> If a thread has a file descriptor open and the file is removed, but
> the thread does not exit cleanly, the filenam is gone from the
> filesystem, but the the disk space is not released.  This is true at
> least in reiserfs, and maybe in other fses, too.

A lot of commonly-used software depends on deletion of open files
working correctly, so I expect this is a bug in Reiserfs, rather
than in the VFS code. If it was a problem in ext2 someone probably
would have noticed :-)

> Our application was creating large temporary files, then deleting
> them, but not successfully ending the thread, so we gradually lost
> room on our filesystem.
>
> --Michael

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *