[ale] disk backup!

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 14:50:17 EDT 2001

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Ken Nagorski wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Please help. We are using tape at the moment and it is so lame. The
> > > overpriced tape units we have are broke more than they
> > work. My boss is
> > > looking at those Maxtor or whoever it is that makes a disk
> > unit that runs
> > > win2000. Please help me I will be so pissed if they but
> > those. Plus there
> > > has got to be a product built with linux to do disk
> > backup... Shit all of
> > > our servers are Linux...
> > >
> > > Any suggestions.
> >
> > Backup media, it seems, will never be able to keep up with primary
> > storage in terms of data density. (I know I'll probably eat those
> > words next year, but whatever.) That being the case, and with
> > hard-disk storage being dirt cheap these days, it probably makes
> > sense to build RAID into every server, and just replace
> > the disks as they fail. You could build a network server just
> > for this, and have the other machines dump their data to it
> > each night.
> >
> > -- Joe
>
> You need RAID in every server in most cases, yes, but that does not solve
> the problem of achieving recoverability in situations more serious than a
> disk crash.

That makes a lot of sense. This is why I'm a SW developer and not
a sysadmin :-)

-- Joe

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *