[ale] Language Jihad!

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at innoverse.com
Wed Jul 18 13:00:07 EDT 2001

Challange taken if you're willing to add "to acomplish the same tasks". Note
that C++ is a superset of C. Therefore, the learning curve to do task A in C,
by definition, cannot be higher than the learning curve of doing task A in
C++. However, C++ generally has simpler, more powerful mechanisms to
acomplish task A which are actually easier to learn than in plain old C. Take
the printf/scanf vs. iostreams for example. Iostreams is far more intuitive
and safer than printf. Compare char* C strings to C++ strings. There's really
no comparison at all. I can get a novice doing useful work that doesn't crash
much faster with C++ than with C. If you're going to argue that learning and
mastering the language is more difficult that's like saying that learning
calculus is more difficult than addition and subtraction. You'd be right but
what's the point? You're learning something more.

	regards & later,

		Ben Scherrey