[ale] Linux in libraries (a heads-up for June 2002)

Ben Ostrowsky ostrowb at tblc.org
Wed Jul 18 09:24:41 EDT 2001

>What software?

Primarily the db that manages library books and who's got 'em.

Top-end library software is remarkably complicated.  It's got functions for:

ACQUISITIONS: Ordering books from different vendors via several different
electronic interchange standards, managing purchase orders and shipments,
and automatically notifying vendors of missing items.  Ideally, the process
of selecting books to buy would be made easier too, with an "Amazon-like"
service that provides rich information about the titles, authors, etc.

CATALOGING: Creating data records in the MARC format, a flat file with
numbered fields some of which are repeatable, all of which can have
subfields, some of which are repeatable.  Verifying that the records are
properly formatted, and also helping the cataloger to use the standard
library vocabulary.  That controlled vocabulary is sometimes
unintentionally hilarious:

'When delivering speeches Berman would often rely on a light bulb as a
prop, which he would hold aloft and ask his audience to identify. Light
bulb, you say? Not to the Library of Congress, he'd explain, for whom the
correct answer is "electric lamp, incandescent." Such convoluted labeling,
Berman believed, did little to promote the nation's 16,000-plus public
libraries as storehouses of knowledge designed for citizens who know a
light bulb when they see one.' --
http://www.citypages.com/databank/20/971/article7781.asp

CIRCULATION: Checking books in and out; sending overdue notices to library
customers by various methods (by phone with voice synthesis, by snail mail,
and sometimes by email).  Keeping track of who's in line for the latest
Stephen King book.  Optimally filling seven requests at four different
branches for an item that's owned by ten different branches.  Taking
inventory by scanning barcodes of the items actually on the shelf, then
identifying which items are missing and which items are shelved in the
wrong order... preferably in real time so the book can be reshelved
immediately.

INTERLIBRARY LOANS: Finding out who's got (and is willing to lend) a copy
of a particular out-of-print book; sending the request; finding out which
libraries still owe us books that we lent them...

PUBLIC ACCESS: The various front ends that you, the library customer, can
use.  Sometimes it's web-based (but see http://suncat.tblc.org/ for a
web-based catalog that doesn't work for blind people, WebTV users, etc.),
sometimes it's telnet-based (telnet:sunline at sunline.tblc.org), and
sometimes it's an application that runs on a PC.  My library system happens
to use all three.  Ideally, it should be able to use some sort of secure
connection so that Little Johnny Snortkiddie doesn't find out who's
checking out what books.  (Let me detour to talk about
confidentiality.  It's a basic principle of library service, for very
practical reasons.  If a message were sent to TheJonesFamily at aol.com saying
"Your book 'How to safely leave an abusive husband' is overdue", it could
mean someone's life.)

SERIALS: Magazines, newspapers, etc. are a hairy problem.  You don't want
to catalog every issue of Creative Loafing as a separate item, but you do
want to know that such-and-such issues are on microfilm, others are in
paper format, these issues have been sent to the microfilm company, and
this issue is missing.  Then magazines will change their names, change
their regular publication pattern (Jan/Feb 2001, Mar/Apr 2001, Special May
Edition, where the hell'd that come from?)... I don't really understand all
of the challenges in serials.

STATISTICS: And, of course, for all of this, we have to have
statistics.  Libraries live and breathe by statistics.  "You can't slash
our budget, the taxpayers have been using the library 15% more than last
year.  You should give us 20% more money for books and bandwidth and staff
so we can stay ahead of the curve."

OK, that's Library Software 101.  Any questions?

Ben