[ale] Language Jihad!

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 18:16:39 EDT 2001

Leonard Thornton wrote:

> At 05:10 PM 7/16/2001 -0400, Wandered Inn wrote:
>
> >I would challenge anyone to disagree that the learning curve for C++ is
> >much larger than the learning curve for C.
>
> So is the learning curve for Assembler over C.  Your point?

Perhaps, that there are languages with most of the advantages
of C++ wrt program organization, that have much shallower
learning curves. Python, Objective-C (so I hear), Java.

For large embedded or real-time systems (which is where I
use it), C++ can be a really good thing, if you have
people who know enough to keep the language pointed
away from their feet. For most other stuff, I try to avoid
it.

I can always use C++ (or C) for the low-level bits,
and something sensible like Python for the UI and gluing
logic.

MHO, as always.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *