[ale] media formats under Linux? HELP HELP!!

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Jul 10 13:04:03 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:37:40AM -0600, Cade Thacker wrote:
> WMA

Only available through a klude using windows codecs (avifile, mplayer,
wine, that sort of thing.  I'd recommend against it.

> ASF

Ditto.

> MPEG

Well-supported; quite a few players (smpeg, mplayer)

> RAM

Real's Linux support is iffy at best.  Not recommended.

> MOV

Depends on the codec.  I'd not recommend it though.

While we're at it, I'd like to make a plug for ogg vorbis; it's a
completely public domain audio codec that's better than mp3 and doesn't
have all of those licensing and legal strings attached.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344