[ale] Xircom RealPort2 Cardbus prob

Marc Torres marct at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 28 14:00:03 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:
> machines on the hub, I can see the led blink, so the thing is trying to
> send something.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this card, or have any suggestions?

	Been there, pulled that hair out.  I have avoided upgrading
	my kernel for an age on my thinkpad because of this problem.

	One of the SuSE guys issued a workaround patch that fixes it
	99% of the time, and I thought it was incorperated into the
	standard PCMCIA source tree a long time ago.

	There is one other workaround that I know of:  Use iptraf or
	tcpdump to send the card into promiscuous mode - when you
	quit the app the card will work fine.

	There is a PCMCIA-post script of sorts that runs after all
	the cards have been loaded, you could put a tcpdump with a
	5 second or packet collection limit on it to /dev/null and
	that should do the trick.

	That should also cover the case of executing the workaround
	when coming out of suspend.

	BTW:  I have had zero problems with the modem under linux.

	--marct
	marct at mindspring.com