[ale] Needed Tools

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Wed Feb 21 10:31:23 EST 2001

I have done this and have a customer that is attempting this theirselves.  They went the long way and I went the short way.  they started from a RH 7.0 distribution.  I started from 2.2.18 and built

from the bootom up.  Building from the bootm up I believe is the best.  It allows control over size which is the main problem when working in an embedded environment.  Your rom is 5 mb and

that is very small.  Below is what I'm using:

1.  2.2.18 kernel
2.  ex2compr file system.  (compressed)
3. Ram image, RO partition that is compressed, config partion that is placed in ram.
4. I have the following on a 16mb DOC
    Netscape, X, icewm, ssh, tcl/tk 8.0, x3270, busybox, custom programs, ica, rdesktop, vnc client, tetris, serial connectivity, various tcl/tk apps for interface and config, libc5 and NO! glibc.

You'll never squeeze all that in 5mb.  But my total OS size is around 50mb.