[ale] Any Burn In testing suggestions

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 14 07:21:02 EST 2001

I'm in the midst of setting up a Linux student lab at Clark Atlanta. Always
the junk rat, I've collected and saved computer carcasses over the years.
My plan is to use the more recent and powerful machines as servers and the
lower powered machines (down to an ancient Compaq 486/50DX2) as Xterminals.

But I have a hodge podge of saved Ram sticks, old disk drives, network cards,
and the like.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on testing these parts to see if
they are still working. Currently we've done the cursory procedure of sticking
parts together and see if the collection boots.

But this lab is going to get a lot of abuse so I'd really like to find out
about failing stuff before I put it into production.

My primary concern is RAM and CPU. The Xterminals can live without disk
drives and I have more than enough disk space to cover the capacity. But
if I can I can be sure of drives to pitch, that would be helpful.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks,

BAJ