[ale] moving to the command line

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Fri Dec 28 10:20:09 EST 2001

My favorite has been the Osborne book 'Unix,
System V, Release 4, AnIntroduction'. It gives plenty of examples and covers
not just a single unixdistribution, but aix, hpux, linux, etc. Comes in
handy for me.I also keep a nice selection of web sites for different shell
programmingexamples, because I can't remember sed and awk to save my life.
Here's agood one for sed commands -<A
href="http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/unix/sed.html"><FONT
size=3>http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/unix/sed.html<FONT
size=3>I keep a text file handy with things I've picked up, for example I
haveabout 10 ways to do recursive mv's to change a whole group of
file'sextensions (*.foo to *.bar) depending on whether I'm in the bash
shell,k-shell, or if I want to use a perl script or something.I also
keep another text file full of specific commands I use for somethings like
checking samba status, or grepping apache logs for specificaddresses or
characters. I wouldn't have to do that so much, except Imaintain several
disparate operating systems, and on one I may
use/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient and another may be
/opt/samba/bin/smbclient(that's a simple example, but there get to be a lot
of differences). Anotheris df vs bdf (linux vs
hpux).matt----- Original Message -----From: "Bruce L.
Bryant" <<FONT
size=3>bbryant at alltel.net>To: <<A
href="mailto:ale at ale.org">ale at ale.org<FONT
size=3>>Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 09:34Subject: [ale] moving to
the command line> Hello all.> I have a question that I
hope will be of some value to all.> I have been running Linux (currently
Slack 8.0) for +2 years. I> would like to (as much as possible)
completely ditch the GUI. To this end> I have purchased a not
inconsiderable stack of manuals, mostly O'reilly> stuff as well as my
current favorite, "Think Unix" by John Lasser.> Now, I have played with
the info in these fine manuals and have> foundthe answers to many of my
questions. However, I have noticed that> most of them isolate on one
thing in detail. I was wondering if anyone has> written a manual for the
newbie aimed at helping them make a fairly rapid> transition to a command
line only computing experience.> I realize that the correct answer to
this question is "RTFM". But,> what about those of us who would like to
start with fairly simple stuff> because of limited time? I would prefer
to continue to read man pages and> manuals and find the stuff out by
experimenting as I find this much more> interesting than being spoon-fed.
However, I would like to be capable of> doing more at the command line,
now.> Any suggestions?> Thanks in advance.> Bruce (IM:
bb207)