[ale] Low memory system

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 27 17:11:16 EST 2001

> My understanding is, the RAM X 2 standard only applies up to about 256MB of
> swap - after that, it is wasted disk space.  So, if your compiter has more
> than 128MB of RAM, just use 256MB of swap.

Up until the 2.4.9 series of kernels, you were required to have Swap = 2X ram
for performance reasons. Using less than that would make you vulnerable to a
lockup bug that didn't require you to stress the machine out much at all. if
you using 2.4.10 or higher than you can juse pretty much whatever you want for
swap with the caveat that swap is what is going to determine your virtual
memory. :)

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Anything worth fighting over is worth fighting dirty over"