[ale] full linux on a disk?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 23 18:51:50 EST 2001

Stephen Turner wrote:

> yea linux from scratch and debian are about the same
> on size of the installation (debian bare bones vs the
> linux from scratch) but they are both at 75 megs of
> space! maybe theres some apps i dont need in the linux
> from scratch but thats a lot of work :-p *complain
> complain* is there some compression trix or something
> i could use and still get it to boot solely off cd?

>From the LFS homepage:

 A few of us have been working on creating a very small
 embedded LFS system. We installed a system that was
 just enough to run the Apache web server; total disk
 space usage was aproximately 8 MB. With further stripping,
 that can be brought down to 5 MB or less. Try that with
 a generic Debian or Redhat distribution.

Read the LFS book. It will tell you exactly how a Linux
system works, at the level of individual applications.
You can use that information to make a system as small
as you like. An absolutely minimal Linux system could
consist of nothing but the kernel and a shell, running
as the init task. Not very useful, but possible. You
can start from there and add the stuff you want.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"