[ale] full linux on a disk?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 23 18:32:52 EST 2001

Stephen Turner wrote:

> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lmcomp/ledbranbusca.html
>
> so i found these cool "buisness card cd's" they only
> hold 50 mb though.. and thats not too good for a
> normal installation of linux.. what im wondering is,
> is there a linux out there or a method where i could
> put a full linux on this cd? would be nice to just
> say.. walk to a friends house pull this out of your
> wallet and start running linux on his pc ;) might even
> get the nerd of the year award? lol... any
> suggestions/ comments to packing as much as possible
> into this cd? and able to boot linux off cd?

Tom's root/boot <http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html>
packs a whole lot on a 1.44MB floppy. I'm sure
you could fit a fairly complete distro in 50 MB.
I think you could get a complete system, including
X and a window manager and some useful X apps, onto
a 50MB disk. Check out Linux From Scratch:
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org>.

Merry Christmas,

-- Joe

--
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the