[ale] serial terminal

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 16 22:10:08 EST 2001

"James P. Kinney III" wrote:

> How do I tell minicom to go ONLINE. I'm trying to use my linux box as a
> serial console to a HP box (PaLinux!).
>
> I have a null modem cable installed. I've told minicom the correct
> serial port. It has perms 777.
>
> I've tried the AT commands (ath, ata, ato0). ?????
> --
> James P. Kinney III   \Changing the mobile computing world/
> President and COO      \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC \           at a time.          /

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

Minicom has to have a direct cable connection.  main pins are 2 to 3, 3 to 2
and 7 to 7.  The cable carries the signals. To test jump 2 to 3 on the back of
the linux box.  This will echo characters to the screen.  If this works the
minicom is working and the problem lies in the cable 2 to 2, 3 to 3 first.
The 2 to 3, 3 to 2 is rec to trans or like a 10BaseT crossover.

--
_/  Rob Hoppe  (Atlanta)