[ale] IP Calculations

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 14:19:14 EST 2001

Ken Nagorski wrote:

> OK, there is something you need to know.
>
> Is it classless or classful? if it is classful then
>
> 0-127 is a class A ( first bit 0)
> 128-191 is in the clash B (first bits 10 )
> 192-223 class C ( fist bits 110 )
>
> However mostly the world uses VLSM or CIDR, (classless) In this case you
> need to know how many bits are on for subnetting,
>
> Lets say 24 (255.255.255.0) bits are on... Then you have 8 bits left for the
> network
>
> You need to calculate 2^8 - 2 = 254 ( this is the amount of useable hosts )
>
> The network will be the lowest IP ( before you minus 2 )
> The broadcast is the last IP in the block
>
> Ken

Is it not true that a classess network may have any netmask
whatsoever? That is, you could have a netmask with lower-order
bits == 1 and higher-order bits == 0, like 255.255.255.4, or
something? I seem to remember encountering a network that
had such a netmask, but the details are hazy.

Cheers,

-- Joe