[ale] OT: Letter to AT&T Broadband re Channel Removal

James Taylor jtaylor at fantasylane.net
Wed Dec 12 18:05:29 EST 2001

Sorry about the blank reply....

I arrived home late last night and discovered that SCI-FI, Speedvision
and TLC, 90% of my television viewing, had been removed from my
non-digital (AT&T) cable.

I cancelled the service this  morning.

I don't see much point in paying to be abused.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group,Inc
678-560-9702
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> jeff hubbs <hbbs at mediaone.net> 12/12/01 05:53PM >>>
Below is the text of a letter I sent to Steven White, Senior VP of AT&T

Broadband, regarding their recent removal of several channels from
their
analog cable service as a way to induce customers to "upgrade" to
digital service.

- Jeff

Steven White
Senior Vice President
AT&T Broadband
2925 Courtyards Drive
Norcross, GA 30071

12/12/01

Mr. White:

I am an AT&T Broadband customer for both cable television and Internet

service.  I am writing to protest your company's decision to begin
removing cable channels from the existing set of channels I receive
from
your service.  My understanding is that the affected channels include
Speedvision, The Sci-Fi Channel, and The Golf Channel.

I called the customer service number and was told that yes, the
channels
were being removed, and while the customer service representative was
more than happy to take my order for an upgrade to digital cable
service, he was unable to explain why I am not getting some sort of
commensurate reduction in my cable bill, given the reduction in service

I am receiving.  Furthermore, he informed me that I would be facing a
rate increase come 2002.  I explained that I am not particularly
interested in paying more for or shouldering the increased complexity
associated with your digital cable system, but the representative had
no
alternative course of action for me.

I am currently paying your company over $100 a month, and I do not
appreciate your company's attempt to manipulate me to pay yet more for

services I do not want or need in order to recover services that you
deliberately took away from me.  And, I do not appreciate basically
being told to go pound sand.

While I understand fully well that digital cable systems give cable
companies the ability to control and deliver service more
cost-effectively and at a theoretically higher quality level, I also
understand that they also give the cable companies the ability to
record
and retain usage data on a box-by-box basis and that tests have been
underway to use that data to control what advertisements are seen on
specific TV sets.  Implications aside, your company's attempt to compel

fans of Speedvision, etc. to take the first step toward that kind of
"social engineering" for your company's financial gain is unwelcome and

unbecoming.

Mr. White, I need you to understand that, in much the same way that I
took my high-speed Internet dollars to AT&T Broadband after
experiencing
a miserable failure of DirecTV and Bellsouth to repair a service
outage,
I am willing to take my Internet and cable television dollars to more
flexible, accommodating, and benevolent providers.

I therefore request that you restore the channels you have taken away
from the cable service I am now receiving or, if you refuse to do so,
lower my monthly bill by a reasonable amount to compensate for the
loss.
  It is unfair for AT&T Broadband to reduce service levels and leave
rates the same, and it is frankly galling for you to even consider a
rate increase after pulling such a stunt.

I am copying this letter to Fulton County's Director of Information and

Public Affairs/Cable so that they have a record of this letter of
protest.

	Respectfully,

	Jeff Hubbs

should be
sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:James Taylor
TEL;WORK:678-560-9702
ORG:The East Cobb Group;marchFIRST
TEL;PREF;FAX:678-560-2159
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:jtaylor at fantasylane.net
N:Taylor;James
TITLE:Managing Partner
ADR;INTL;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL:;;3710 Cherokee Place; Marietta; Ga;30067; USA
LABEL;INTL;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:James Taylor=0A=
3710 Cherokee Place=0A=
 Marietta,  Ga  30067=0A=
 USA
LABEL;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:James Taylor=0A=
3710 Cherokee Place=0A=
 Marietta,  Ga  30067
TEL;HOME: 770-578-9028
TEL;CELL: 678-358-8605