[ale] [Fwd: Re: [ale] XP and Samba]

James Taylor JTAYLOR at fantasylane.net
Tue Dec 11 07:39:24 EST 2001

The point is that you can't use the terms NetBeui and NetBIOS
interchangeably.  NetBIOS is a nameservice that is required by pre-AD M$
networking.  NetBEUI is a protocol stack that incorporates NetBIOS by
default.  If you use IP or IPX to do M$ networking, you still have to
have the NetBIOS nameservice implemented to access shares and services.
By the way, I'd love to blame this mess on M$, but IBM and 3Com
implemented it for their LanMAN and LanServer products back when M$
didn't provide any networking.  M$, as usual, just propagated the
nastiest way of doing things.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group,Inc
678-560-9702
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
James Taylor wrote:

> Whenever you install TCP/IP, even if you install *only* TCP/IP on
> Win9x,NTor W2K, NetBIOS is automatically installed, though not
displayed
> in the pprotocol window.  I've heard that if you go in and change the
> FG/BG in video memory below the last item in the protocol window, the
> entry will show.

Actually, it is generally installed by default on win95 and it is
displayed, which always pissed me off, I then remove it.  Win95 also
installs the netware stuff,
which I remove as well. No sense in adding additional protocols that
won't be used, and might be cracked somehow.

I don't know about NT or Win2K as I've not installed NT in a while.
I've just done an upgrade to Win2K from NT, but the NetB* stuff is not
there as far as I can tell.  Regardless whether it's displayed or not,
it's not necessary for Samba.

> Apparently XP doesn't do this, hence you have to install NetBIOS
> Nameservice separately.  I wouldn't think you would need NetBEUI
> Protocol, though.

Can't speak for XP as I'll NEVER run it. I guarantee you NetB* are not
needed by Samba.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

should be
sent to listmaster at ale dot org.