[ale] Spam and ale (An unappetizing meal)

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Sep 23 08:34:43 EDT 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> Robbie has done a lot to cut down on spamming by configuring the
> ale.org mailer daemon to use the open relay list (ORBS) to block mail
> from open relays.  Most spammers rely on routing mail through
> unsuspecting 3rd parties to relay their stuff, and by blocking the
> open relays you can eliminate most spam attempts.
>
> My personal opinion is that the amt. of Spam isn't high enough to
> erect a barrier to befuddle people trying to post legitimate questions
> to the list.  I guess that's because I get tons more of it at work
> than at home.

Actually, the EFF has erected a fairly clever barrier, and it is not that
dissimilar from what Brian was suggesting:  They have all email to
webmaster at eff.org automagically bounce with a message saying that you need
to send it to a different address, and that spammers usually don't get/pay
attention to this message.  Such a bounce message could indicate to put
the word linux on the subject line.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
There seems to be no limit to how long Verizon can hold up delivery of