[ale] StarOffice 5.2 is driving me crazy!

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Sep 23 09:03:45 EDT 2000

It seems like a simple proposition: Install StarOffice 5.2 so that multiple
accounts can use it. It works fine for root if you do a normal install,
however no other user can use it.

The README states that you should run a './setup /net' but the binary I
downloaded is called so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin. When I install it with
the /net option it doesn't create the setup or soffice program links in
the top level directory and I get an 'Already installed' error message if
I run those binaries directly in the programs directory.

As a last stab I'm going a non-net install then seeing if I can make any
progress by running the setup program with /net after the initial
so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin install.

But it certainly shouldn't be this difficult. In fact I don't really understand
why this isn't an option under the GUI install since you have to do the GUI
install anyway.

BAJ