[ale] access is STILL rigged ! was: Earthspring DSL kit hasarrived !

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Sep 23 08:26:46 EDT 2000

If it is any consolation, I am having the same problem with Verizon (I am
in New York State) getting me connected to Telocity.  I originally placed
my order with them on 6/15.  Shortly after, my LEC got slammed (i.e. I was
now a Met Tel customer rather than Verizon) and I didn't find out until I
got the bill from Met Tel.  This effectively purged my order from
Verizon's database.  I got re-signed with Verizon, had Telocity put my
order back in to Verizon's databse with a "rush" on it, just in time for
Verizon's workers to go on strike.  On 9/8, Telocity told me that Verizon
had (finally!) told them that things were ready, and they shipped me my
modem.  It arrived on 9/11, and I installed it, and rigged it, and
rerigged it, and rererigged it, and rigged it to the NIB, and disconnected
everything else in the house and rigged it to the NIB, and no sync.  9/12
I put a trouble ticket in to Telocity, who put it in to
Verizon.  Yesterday (9/22), I finally got a sync light.  And an Alarm
light.  And it still won't connect, of course.  Telocity reopened the
ticket with Verizon, and so here I am, literally 100 days since I ordered
DSL, and no connection, mostly thanks to Verizon, with some credit to Met
Tel.

BTW, no, I don't blame the union in any way for this.  Verizon has been
putting the people with the most tedious jobs through forced overtime, up
to 56 hours a week.  If you don't absolutely love your job, that is mental
torture.  This was what caused the strike.  After all, phone operators
like to see their children once in a while too....

It is also worth noting that cable modems are available in my area, but
that I have opted for Telocity DSL because (1) they are Linux friendly,
and (2) I get a static IP address from them.  No, Schenectady is not a big
city, but it is a city nonetheless, and of sufficient population density
that there is really no excuse for Verizon not getting their sh!t
together.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
100 days and counting!  There seems to be no limit to how long Verizon can