[ale] Hacking root password...

Carl Forsell cforsell at roman.net
Sat Jul 29 17:14:43 EDT 2000

I have a customer's server that they lost the password, and want me to hack.
They are running SuSE6.3 with scsi drives as sda1 & sda2. The box is a Dell
PIII.

I booted with the install disk, used the rescue disk and tried the
mount  -t ext2 /dev/sda1/mnt" command.  I tried to go to /mnt/etc/ and edit
the passwd file (I have done this 5 or 6 times on other machines and have
never had a problem).  On this box, I can not get to /mnt/etc!!!  (I have
tried just about every imaginable combination of the "mount" string - with
ext2, without ext2, with & without the -t, ...)

I hacked a similar box that had IDE drives as hda1, 2. and 3 and had no
problem.  Any suggestions?