[ale] Using access_logs to get counter info

Patman patman at io.com
Thu Jul 27 08:22:29 EDT 2000

Howdy,

I am running Apache 1.3.9 on Redhat 6.1, and wanted to use my access_logs
to keep a count of how many times certain files in specific directories
show up as being accessed in the access_logs.  I have a few webpages with
lots of photos on them, and would like to find a way to see how many hits
I get for each page of photos (which are sorted and placed in different
directories per page).

I would like to key off the directory name, and how many times a
directory name shows up as being accessed from the access_logs.  This
would give me the hit info I want.  I already have a counter that counts
just the number of page accesses per page on each page, but this isn't
feasible on a per-photo-file basis.  Once I get this "number of hits" per
directory according to the access_logs, I'd like to display number on each
page too.

I'm a total moron when it comes to scripting, but willing to learn.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.