[ale] re: RoadRunner

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 25 17:45:51 EDT 2000

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Jennifer Taylor wrote:
>
> > Are you subscribed as residential or commercial?  Generally speaking
> > of broadband companies (I don't know about RoadRunner specifically)
> > they don't let their residential subscribers run any sort of web or
> > email services.  Also generally speaking, they don't assign static IP
> > addresses to their residential customers, which would put a damper on
> > such activities.
>
> Telocity is the exception to this.  They do provide static IP by default
> and seem to encourage domain registration.

This is comparing apples and gorillas though. Telocity is ADSL which doesn't
have shared service from the Telco CO to the client whereas RR cable service
is shared bandwidth in a neighborhood.

IIRC RR prohibits resale of bandwidth and commercial websites. In addition
they ask that you do not build nameservice with their IPs. All reasonable
requests. On the flip side, their DHCP leases seem to last months at a time.
In fact I was surprised when I was assigned a new IP.

In short personal websites should be fine and the frequency of IP changeover
is small enough that doing a dynamic DNS isn't too much a hassle.

BAJ

> I highly recommend that anyone considering roadrunner check out
> http://www.wizvax.net/airborne/roadrunner/complaint.html . This is written
> by a guy who had problems with them in upstate New York.

I read it. Seems like a personality conflict with an individual and not
a systemic company stance. Also it's dated 2 years ago.

I say again that I've been extremely pleased with MediaOne RR service.
It works fine with my Linux box, is fast, and extremely reliable. Once
it was pointed out to me in this forum that M1 doesn't prohibit alternate
configurations, but simply doesn't support them, I was satisfied with the
policy.

Just some input.

BAJ