[ale] Password hashes bent

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Tue Jul 25 08:21:23 EDT 2000

Patrick wrote:

> Do you have the new slack box doing reverse lookups?  check your
> /var/log/warn and messages and see if your firewall box is timing out when a
> telnet or ssh is started...
>
> You can also just add your workstation into the host file and see if it can
> get in.. Alot of times though the reverse will time out and telnet/ssh will
> bomb ot just sit there and hang forever.  (at least this was the case for
> us)

Everything about connecting is OK. The firewall is the authoritative
DNS server for my internal network, and all forward and reverse
lookups proceed as expected. I know where the problem is: sshd croaks
when comparing the encrypted form of my (correctly entered) password
with the encrypted password in the /etc/shadow file. When attempting
to log in, I get a password: prompt, enter my password (correctly),
and sshd says "Permission denied." This occurs even if
I do "ssh localhost" on the firewall. Adding some logging to sshd
reveals that the problem is just what I said: sshd is encrypting my
plaintext password and getting a different string than what's in the
/etc/shadow file. I just need an explanation for this behavior.

There's some stuff in the sshd sources about MD5 passwords. I tried
enabling that, but it didn't help.

Thanks,

-- Joe

--