[ale] QuakeIII Masq

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Mon Jul 24 14:49:09 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 11:41:59AM -0700, Prasanna Subash decided:
> Hi ale,
>
> 	I have winbox behind a linux gateway @ home. I am trying to masq quake3
> arena to connect to on outside server and the ~ prompt in quake3
> repeately shows me that "Server protocol is 45" which I translate to
> "unable to contact server". I dont know how to check for connectivity
> from windoz anyway. I tried telneting to the server/port and was unable
> to reach it.
>
> 	Thus I came to realize that there must be something wrong with my Linux
> box masq setup.
----snip-------->

There are about a million (or maybe just 3 or 4) ways to fix this.
What I generally do when setting up IPCHAINS is make sure I log any
packets I DENY/REJECT, this way when something doesn't work I can see
if I am blocking it. If I am not blocking the traffic, I use tcpdump
on the Internet interface (ppp0 in my case). I watch to see where the
traffic comes from and where it is trying to get to.

Now, you usually have two options here. One, just allow the packets in
and masq them going out. Two, use ipmasqadm to direct (force) the packets to
the Quake computer and masq the output.

These steps usually work for me. Hope this helps.

--Randy