[ale] Linux (vmware) and NT

Scott Nolde smnolde at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 23 20:10:05 EDT 2000

Robert Hoffman wrote:

> O.K. I set up an NT disk and played with it until I got it working. I had to use the following entry in lilo.conf to get NT working as the slave drive:
>
> other=/dev/hdb1
>         label=NT
>         table=/dev/hdb
>         map-drive = 0x80
>         to = 0x81
>         map-drive = 0x81
>         to = 0x80
>
> Don't forget to run lilo as root to have these changes written to the master boot record.
>
> After this, I hit "tab" at the LILO: prompt and choose NT. When I was given the choice of which NT to load, I found that I could only boot NT using the original option to run "Windows NT Workstation 4.0" or the original VGA safe mode. So, I guess you don't need to edit C:\boot.ini at all.
>
> I'll stick this on my web site tomorrow since all the HOWTO's seem to assume you can only use NT on the master boot record.
>
> I have this working; if you have any trouble, shoot me an email.
>
> -Rob Hoffman

It is with the same above lilo configuration I use to dual boot my
windows hard drive to play games.  I highly recommend it, and have done
so to others in comp.os.linux.setup.

Interestingly enough, the lilo user guide has the above example for
booting OS2.

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |