[ale] Linux (vmware) and NT

Robert Hoffman rob at frankenlinux.com
Sun Jul 23 03:52:16 EDT 2000

O.K. I set up an NT disk and played with it until I got it working. I had to use the following entry in lilo.conf to get NT working as the slave drive:

other=/dev/hdb1
	label=NT
	table=/dev/hdb
	map-drive = 0x80
	to = 0x81
	map-drive = 0x81
	to = 0x80

Don't forget to run lilo as root to have these changes written to the master boot record.

After this, I hit "tab" at the LILO: prompt and choose NT. When I was given the choice of which NT to load, I found that I could only boot NT using the original option to run "Windows NT Workstation 4.0" or the original VGA safe mode. So, I guess you don't need to edit C:\boot.ini at all.

I'll stick this on my web site tomorrow since all the HOWTO's seem to assume you can only use NT on the master boot record.

I have this working; if you have any trouble, shoot me an email.

-Rob Hoffman