[ale] Can't get color output on HP DJ682C: Please help

Chuck Mattern cmattern at mediaone.net
Fri Jul 14 07:28:45 EDT 2000

I'm running RedHat 6.1 and have used the printool to set up a queue for my
dj682c.  The postscripts test page prints only black and white.  I checked the
ftp sites and found no obviously pertinent updates to the 6.1 distribution.  I
have edited the postscript.cfg trying to coax color output, originally it
looked like this:

#
# configuration related to postscript printing
# generated automatically by PRINTTOOL
# manual changes to this file may be lost
#
GSDEVICE=cdj550
RESOLUTION=300x300
COLOR=-dBitsPerPixel=3
PAPERSIZE=letter
EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS=""
REVERSE_ORDER=
PS_SEND_EOF=NO

#
# following is related to printing multiple pages per output page
#
NUP=1
RTLFTMAR=18
TOPBOTMAR=18

After reading through the devices.txt file in /usr/doc/ghostscript-5.10 I
tried setting the COLOR=-dBitsPerPixel value to 24 and 32 and restarting the
lpd but had no luck.  I verified that the directive was getting through to gs
with ps:

21352 ?        R      0:10 gs -q -sDEVICE=cdj550 -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZE=letter
-dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sOutputFile=/tmp/printtmp.WfhPoH -dBitsPerPixel=24 -

I've even tried power cycling the printer in case it was somehow stuck in mono
mode.

I know this device will print in color, I've gotten it to work with WP for
Linux.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards,
Chuck