[ale] Windows and System Clock to GMT?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Jul 14 00:38:38 EDT 2000

To quote from the Linux kernel configuration helpfile:

RTC stores time in GMT
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT
  Say Y here if your RTC (Real Time Clock a.k.a. hardware clock)
  stores the time in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). Say N if your RTC
  stores localtime.

  It is in fact recommended to store GMT in your RTC, because then you
  don't have to worry about daylight savings time changes. The only
  reason not to use GMT in your RTC is if you also run a broken OS
  that doesn't understand GMT.