[ale] NFS as a hair-loss enhancer

Yu, Jerry zyu at Ptek.com
Sat Jul 1 09:58:01 EDT 2000

My previous experience  is I have to put entry in server's /etc/hosts or
/etc/inet/hosts for the client. nslookup result, succesful telnet doesnot
matter. And, you  even need to be careful what the server think the
client's name is and add that into the hosts file instead of the hostname
name or the hostname.domain  you think it should be. To do that,
suggestion from deja is, telnet from client to the server, do a 'last'
or 'who -l' on the server to pinpoint the client's hostname in server's
eyes.

 This is from my experience with  Solaris 2.5, SCO openserver
5. Probably
NFS is not really rely on DNS look up. Since NFS is such a 'trust'-based
protocol...
somebody know the protocol and/or implementation of NFS should be able to
tell us exactly why.