[ale] install 6.1 or upgrade 5.1

Chris Kilroy kilroyc at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 22 09:23:04 EST 1999

My recommendation would be to download the kernel source from
www.kernel.org

READ THE KERNEL HOW-TO FIRST!!!

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

and install it that way.  I wouldn't do it the .rpm way

You can download a .tar.gz file or a .bzip file.

one is bigger than the other, but how about you download the first one.

we'll assume you downloaded the file linux_2_2_13.tar.gz to your home dir

from /home/dahmani
$ su
# mv linux_2* /usr/src

if you want to save your old kernel source (if it is there it will be in
/usr/src/linux)

#mv /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux_x_y_z (variables corresponding to old version)

it may already have been done and the /usr/src/linux is just a symlink
# cd /usr/src
# tar -xzvpf linux_2_2_13.tar.gz
# cd linux
you have 3 choices about how to config your kernel.  see the how-to.
I typically do it from

# make xconfig
when finished click on SAVE and EXIT
#make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install

You then need to edit lilo.conf so that your old kernel is still bootable in
case the new one implodes!
then before you restart!

#lilo
it will add your new entry.

then you can restart.  The HOW-TO is pretty useful.

Hope this is helpful.
chris