[ale] mb upgrade question

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Nov 22 09:11:44 EST 1999

Sorry for all the questions, but I've not gotten any response from Asus
via email regarding their board and what it can actually support. (piii
450 and faster, what does faster include??).

I appreciate all the responses regarding my mb upgrade.  I have been
toggling back and forth between Intel and amd solutions.  I've heard at
least two people who claim that they've seen stability problems with the
upper end Athlon (700) processor.  One who said he was a tech support
guy and the other guy said he saw a benchmark test done on tv, where the
athlon crashed alot.  Anyone see this benchmark?

Regarding the issue of how fast a processor the asus p3b-f will handle,
the asus site indicates it will support 450 and faster piii.  I
understand that Intel is going back to a socket vs. a slot, but I'm
wondering whether they might have an adapter card such as they do for
the 370.

Anyone out there using an Athlon chip who would like to share their
experiences?  For that matter, I'd like to hear from anyone who has had
experiences with, say k6-3 and higher chips.

It also appears that I could actually get a Piii 500 cheaper than an
athlon 500, primarily because the athlon mb's are higher.  Anyone seen a
good deal on athlon mb?  tomshardware recommended the asus k7m and the
fic sd11.  Anyone had any experiences with these boards?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl