[ale] creating a 1.2 5.25" boot disk

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Wed May 26 09:14:49 EDT 1999

The floppy boot sector will have the floppy (2,0) specified as boot device
in the bytes 508-509, you'll probably need to
  1) run rdev to set the partition to boot from the hard disk, or
  2) manually change those bytes to (3,1) for hda1, or
  3) add "root=hda1" to the boot command.

DOS floppies usually have the number of heads and sectors in the boot sector
as well; don't know what impact that will have (since you're booting from
HD).

Go for it ... and let us know