[ale] Multi-disk changer?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Wed May 26 09:03:15 EDT 1999

/usr/doc/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO from RH5.2 installation (2.0.36 kernel)

  6.11.  Do multi-platter CD-ROM drives work with Linux?

  Several users have reported success with SCSI multi-disc CD-ROM
  changers.  You probably need to enable the "Probe all LUNs on each
  SCSI device" kernel configuration option. At least one user also had
  to increase a SCSI timeout value in the kernel driver. The Nakamichi
  MBR-7 7 disc changer and Pioneer 12 disc changer have been reported to
  work.

  EIDE/ATAPI multi-disc changers are also available. The 2.0 kernel has
  rudimentary support for some drives using the CDROM_SELECT_DISC ioctl
  function. The IDE-CD kernel driver documentation file includes source
  code for a program to select changer slots, or you can use a recent
  version of the eject program described earlier.

It looks like there is a bunch of code in the 2.2.7 kernel
drivers/block/ide-cd.c to support changers, including work-arounds for the
Sanyo 3-disk changer, but I haven't had time to play with that yet. I have a
Nakamichi 5-disk 16x IDE changer at home; I'll have to boot RH6.0 on that
system and see what it reports.